The Quotes are powered by Investing.com UK

Saturday 2 May 2015

The Episodes: Chapter 3: An Academic Firmament Episode 4: Conference of the Birds is Now Out!


In the epic Persian sufi poem, Conference of the Birds, the writer Farid ud-Din Attar described the birds’ of the world search for a king, and led by the hoopoe, the wisest of them, at whose suggestion they went to look for the Simorgh, a legendary bird likened by the phoenix in western literature.  Flying over seven valleys (representing life’s struggles), thirty of them finally arrived at the dwelling of the Simorgh, there for them only to find a lake in which they could see only their reflection.  The allegorical poem is a reference to human qualities and failings (represented by each of the birds), the journey being a test of character for anyone to attain enlightenment (tauhid). It reminded me of events that propelled a life through a logic only the Divine can fathom because He ordained it.  The two strands of thought and action that wound through events in my life, one set academic and the other political, were brought together over the coming decade of my years in USM.  This intertwining of the professional and the political in my career only became unwound, only just, during the time I was at the Malaysian Institute for Policy Research, MIER, still ten years away.  Before then, it was as if I inhabited in two minds, sometimes in conflict sometimes in cahoots in determining the path of my life and career.  It was T. Jefferson Parker in his 1996 crime novel, The Triggerman’s Dance, which I was reading who quoted Aeschylus, “Man grows wise against his will”.  I had hoped that the USM experience would have made me wiser.

No comments: